The Grand Water and Sewer Service Agency (GWSSA), Grand County and the City of Moab urge you to use the following five tips to help achieve compliance at the wastewater treatment plant.
- Eliminate the use of garbage disposals. Compost or throw away food scraps. Scrape plates into the garbage can. Food waste contributes a significant load on the treatment plant. Some communities have even made disposals illegal!
- Don’t flush cigarette butts, plastics, razorblades, bandages, dental floss, condoms, baby wipes or hygiene items.
- Fats, oils, grease, paint, solvents and pesticides can cause trouble at the treatment plant. They should NEVER go down the drain.
- Cat feces and litter (even flushable litter) adds loading and can contain a parasite called Toxoplasmosa gondii which often survives wastewater treatment and harms aquatic mammals.
- Return medications to the pharmacy or place in the bin at the Grand County Sheriff’s office rather than flushing them down the toilet.
Thank you! By following these tips, you can make a difference that will help reduce loading at the treatment plant and improve water quality in the Colorado River.